Chipotle Mexican Grill fans will love making their own copycat Chipotle Tomatillo Salsa Verde recipe at home, perfect for chip-dipping and tacos!
photo copyright: http://www.shutterstock.com/gallery-530917p1.html
This version is so unbelievably easy to make with tomatillos and serrano peppers (which are nearly 5 times hotter than traditional jalapeno peppers – wow!), but you can of course make this with regular jalapenos if you wish.
Copycat Chipotle Tomatillo Salsa Verde
- 10 Tomatillos, skins removed
- 4 Serrano Peppers (or you can use 1-2 jalapenos)
- ½ cup Vegetable Stock
- 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- ⅓ cup Cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Lime Juice
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil
- Add tomatillos to boiling water and boil for about 15 minutes; drain and set aside
- Chop the serrano peppers and remove the stems. If you use jalapenos, place them under the broiler on high for about 6 minutes, turning halfway. Remove skin and seeds
- Add serrano peppers, garlic, tomatillos, lime juice, cilanto, and salt in a food processor
- Pulse 5-10 times depending on how chunky or not-so-chunky you want your salsa
- Allow to chill in fridge for at least 1 hour - best served cold
What do you think of this Copycat Chipotle Tomatillo Salsa Verde? Be sure to leave a comment if you make it!
Recipe adapted from here.