These Fun and Frugal Americana Flip Flops are perfect for Memorial Day and the 4th of July!
Warmer summer weather means it is time to get out the flip flops! Nothing feels better on feet that have been cooped up all winter in boots and tennis shoes than a fresh pair of flip flops ready to let your tootsies breathe. This summer, why not put a patriotic spin on the typical flip flops? You don’t have to be a professional crafter or bust your budget in order to create a cute pair of flip flops that will be perfect for your next cook out or 4th of July party. Just take a look below at this simple Dollar Store DIY, and find out how you can make your own fun and frugal Americana flip flops!
First, let’s take a look at what you will need. For many crafting projects, you will find that a glue gun and glue sticks are helpful. Your local craft store should have both items rather inexpensively. If you are visiting a Hobby Lobby store or Michael’s, be sure to take your 40% off internet coupon when you go. As for the rest of the supplies for this project, every single one was purchased at our local Dollar Tree for…you guessed it…$1.00!
Pair of rubber flip flops in patriotic colors
Package of Red,White, Blue floral leis
Hot glue gun, glue sticks
If you already have a glue gun and glue sticks, you are only spending around $2.00 for this project. How fun is that?
1. Remove all packaging from the flip flops to make them easier to work with.
2. Snip the lei and pull the flowers loose from the strand.
3. Apply one small drop of hot glue at a time directly to the strap on the flip flop.
4. Carefully press a flower on the drop of glue and press firmly into place. Allow to dry.
5. Continue to add flowers one at a time using this same method. You can cover the entire strap if you wish or just do a cluster of flowers. It is up to you! Do what is pleasing to you.
As soon as you feel your flip flops are decorated the way you wish, you can add a few drops of glitter or other small accents. Allow them to thoroughly dry before putting them on. A few hours at minimum is recommended.
Your feet will look and feel so fun in these flip flops, and the fact that you whipped them up for just pennies is awesome. Just be warned, as soon as your friends see them they are going to ask you to make them a pair as well!
For more DIY tips on how to make your life easier, follow me on Pinterest!