These Fudgy Hot Chocolate Brownies are the perfect compliment to winter, especially when they come out of the oven after you let the mini marshmallows melt a little. They remind of S’mores-like brownies, minus the crushed graham cracker, but you could always crush some up and sprinkle on top (or crush them, mixed with melted butter, and create a base under the brownies themselves – YUM)! Either way, pure chocolate heaven! PS. If you do want to try S’mores Brownies, check out my recipe here! And be sure to Pin It for Later!
You can make this recipe using a homemade brownie recipe, or you could simplify and save some time by using a box mix. Either way. I love love love Betty Crocker Fudge Brownie mix, in the box or the pouches. This is the perfect after school treat for the kiddos, with an ice cold glass of milk!
- Cooking spray
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup hot chocolate or cocoa mix
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- One 12-ounce bag semisweet chocolate chips
- 72 mini marshmallows
- chocolate syrup, to drizzle on top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, and spray with the cooking spray.
- Stir together the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla in a medium bowl.
- Add the flour, hot chocolate mix, salt and baking powder and stir until just combined.
- Stir in half the chocolate chips.
- Spread the mixture in the prepared baking pan.
- Bake until the brownies begin to pull away from the edges of the pan and are set in the center, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, immediately sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chips, and let stand until they are very soft, about 5 minutes.
- Spread the melted chips evenly with a spatula.
- Sprinkle marshmallows on top, place in broiler (on high) or toaster oven for 2 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Drizzle with chocolate syrup.
Just look at those lightly toasted marshmallows and ooey-gooey fudgy goodness. My kids absolutely love these, so much so that they always beg me to have another in one sitting. Because they love them so much, I only make them once a month to reward them for good behavior. And to help me control my waistline. A pan of these babies are always gone in like, 2 days in our house.
In fact, these brownies are so delicious that this recipe was actually a recent winner in a recipe contest I entered over at MilitaryShoppers.com! I was thrilled when I opened up their email newsletter this morning and saw the news and their variation of my recipe. If you aren’t a marshmallow fan, you can leave them off the top and serve with a side of vanilla ice cream and drizzled with yummy Hershey’s syrup, like they did in the picture below. Either way, these brownies will blow your mind!